Has your COD: Modern Warfare stopped? Well, no matter how well you’ve optimized a game, it’s always prone to bugs and glitches. And Modern Warfare is no exception!
So if you’re having issues with your COD: Modern Warfare, stop worrying anymore! I’ve got you covered! Here are some of the most common issues why your game is malfunctioning with the best possible fixes. Let get’s right into it!
Check for system compatibility
Your game might not be working because your computer doesn’t meet the minimum system requirements of the game. No matter if you’re playing on a PC or a console, you need to make sure that your system is compatible with the game. To check the minimum system requirements on the game’s store page.
In case your system isn’t compatible with the game you don’t need to lose all hope. You can still enjoy the game by running it in compatibility mode. Here’s what you need to do;
- Go to your Steam library
- Now right-click on the game title and go to properties
- Then click on the “compatibility” tab and choose the operating system of your preference
Allow your game in Windows Firewall
Windows Firewall is built-in software that shields your computer from any malware attacks. Sometimes it can recognize some of your programs as viruses and block their access to the internet. So I’d suggest manually adding Modern Warfare to the firewall bypass list of programs. Never done it before? Here’s how;
- Go to the “Search Box” down below and type “Windows Firewall”
- Click on the “Windows Defender Firewall”
- Now on the top left corner, click on “Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall”
- It’ll take you to a list of apps where you need to scroll through the apps until you find the “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare”
- Couldn’t find it? Then it means, it doesn’t have access to your internet
In this scenario, you’ll have to manually add it to the list, so follow these steps;
- First, click on “Change settings” and then press allow “Allow another app”
- This will open up a new tab. And when you click on “browse”, it’ll take you to your “file explorer”
- Navigate through and click on the “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare” file and then click “open”
- Click on “Add” and that’ll lift the firewall blockage from your game.
Try running the game again to see if the problem persists. And if it does, go for the next solution!
Check your internet connection
If you did find the game on the firewall list then I’d recommend checking your internet connection too. See, modern games need a steady internet to work smoothly so it’s better to rule out the possibility of a bad connection. If there is an issue with your internet, try resetting your router or check with your service provider to see if the problem is at their end.
Install all the latest Windows updates
If you’re using your computer on an out-of-date operating, you may encounter some incompatibility issues and your device is at greater risk of cyber attack. Plus you’re missing out on some new functionalities too. So go ahead and install all the latest window updates. For that;
- Type “check for updates” in the search box and click the best match from the results
- Once the tab is opened, click on “check for updates” and make sure you’re connected to the internet
- Once you click on it, all of the new window updates will be downloaded and installed in about 10 minutes
- Then, it will prompt you to restart your computer. (your computer will turn off several times while restarting so don’t worry)
Once the latest updates are installed, check if the game is working now. Still no luck? Try the next trick.
Update your GPU drivers
If you’re a gamer you’d understand how important is your graphics card. Right? And to get the best out of your GPU, you need to make sure your graphics drivers are updated. If your drivers are outdated or corrupted you’re prone to experience performance loss and some programs may even fail to launch. Updating the drivers is the only way out of this misery.
How to do it?
Go to the official website of your graphics card manufacturer and download the latest drivers for your Windows version. Once they’re downloaded, double-click on the file and follow the on-screen instructions to install them.
Check the integrity of the game files
Your game can also malfunction if the game files are either missing or corrupted. If you’re playing on a PC using Steam or Battle.net, you can check the integrity of your game files. This feature is a real lifesaver as it automatically downloads the missing files and replacements for corrupted files.
For battle.net players
If you’re playing on Battle.net;
- Go to the battle.net app
- Now click on the game title and then tap on “Options”
- Select “Scan and Repair” from the list of options, click on “Begin Scan” and leave the rest to the app
When the scan is complete, test the game again to see if it resolves the issue.
For steam players
If you’re playing on Steam;
- Open the Steam client
- Find the game title in the LIBRARY and right-click on it.
- Go to the Properties and click on the LOCAL FILES tab and then click on VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES
It’ll take a few minutes so lay back and relax while the files are being verified.
- If you have a “disk read” error or an “update patch_common_mp” error, reinstall the single-player mode of the game and verify the game cache again
- In case you get an “update requires restart” error, go to steamapps > common > MWR and delete “toc0.dcache” and “toc1.dcache” from the MWR folder and launch the game again
- If you get a “VAC banned” error, change the Steam name or URL and restart the game. And remember that this doesn’t actually mean you’re banned from the game.
So, did it work? Congrats! If it did, but if not, let’s move on to the next solution.
Disable all background applications or programs
Before you start the game, make sure there aren’t any applications or programs running in the background. These could interfere with your game and maybe the culprit of the problem. So close any unnecessary applications before running the game.
To disable any needless programs, you can perform a clean boot, or here’s a simpler way.
- Press the Windows logo key + R
- A dialogue box will pop up in the bottom left corner ]
- Type “taskmgr” and click on “Ok”
- This will take you to the task manager. Now under the processes tab, right-click on all of the programs that you don’t need while playing the game and then click on End task.
This’ll free up resources for the game to run smoothly. Once you’ve closed all the programs, try the game if to see if it did the trick.
Disable any overlays
Using an overlay while playing seems very fun and cool. No? Most of us use different overlays like Discord or Nvidia GeForce experience and these overlays can sometimes cause issues with blizzard games. I know it’s a bit of a shocker for you but you’ll have to disable the overlays to see if it works.
If you’re using Discord;
- Click on the Cogs wheel icon that you see at the bottom left corner
- And then go to the overlay tab
- Toggle off the enable in-game overlay button and you’re done
Launch the game once again to see if it worked.
Reinstall the game
Have you tried everything I shared with you? Still no luck? You might have to delete and reinstall the game. To delete the game, go to the Steam library and right click on the game and then select “Delete Local Content”
And then simply re-install the game from Steam and hopefully, the game will start working.
Some additional tips for a better experience
- If you’re playing on a laptop, make sure it’s plugged in because such games can consume a lot of power. This may drain out your battery rather quickly.
- Overheating can also cause problems with your game. So it’s better to play the game in a well-ventilated area.
- If you fave any lag or performance issues, try lowering the graphics settings or checking internet connectivity.
So, did any of the fixes solve your problem? If yes, then I’m happy to be of help! If not then don’t worry! explain your problem, down in the comments and I’m sure we’ll find a solution. Till then stay frosty!
Muhammad Allayhan, a gaming and PC hardware virtuoso, breathes life into pixelated worlds. A legendary overclocker, he unlocks hidden power in gaming rigs. Navigating from 8-bit realms to today’s masterpieces, Muhammad’s words immerse readers in an ever-evolving digital odyssey. Join him as he reveals the secrets of gaming’s cutting edge.