The computer mice have a standard to the mouse sensitivity which is expressed as the number of DPI (Dots Per Inch). DPI is the measurement of how sensitive a computer mouse is, while mouse sensitivity is how fast a mouse pointer moves on the screen. In other words, the speed of a mouse pointer.
So, you got a brand-new mouse to use for working as well as gaming? The only problem with it is that when you move it a little, the mouse pointer moves to the other end of the screen because there is a good chance that the mouse’s DPI or sensitivity is set to too high. The other scenario could be when you’re working or gaming, the mouse pointer speed simply doesn’t feel right. Trust me, we’ve all been there.
You can fix this by adjusting the DPI of the mouse that you are comfortable with. Some people often face the problem that they don’t know exactly how to change the mouse DPI settings. Here in this guide. We will be explaining a few methods about how to change the mouse DPI so you can get the most of the gaming experience and performance. We hope that you will follow us through.
As you know and you may have also seen that in most of the gaming mice, there is a dedicated button for changing the mouse’s DPI on-the-fly. It doesn’t matter which application you’re using; you can adjust the DPI from a few different presets, which may or may not be customizable depending on the mouse you have.
- Step 1: Locate the change DPI button on the mouse. It is usually located just below the scrolling wheel. The change DPI button is relatively small compared to the other buttons on the mouse. Sometimes, it even has the word “DPI” written on it.
- Step 2: When you have located the change DPI button on the mouse, simply press the button once. You can easily cycle through the preset DPI settings which gradually get higher and higher. Some mice have two buttons to increase or decrease the DPI instead of just one. If you are uncertain of which button is for changing DPI, then try looking at the box as it may have a visual label for each button on the mouse. If that doesn’t help, you can go online on the manufacturer’s website to look up it.
- Step 3: Once you have found the DPI preset that suits you, then leave it as it is. Now it is set and you can easily use the mouse.
How to Change Your Mouse DPI in Windows 10
It is a fairly simple method, especially for the mouse that has no dedicated change DPI button on it. In case you were wondering how to change mouse DPI Windows in 10, you can easily adjust the mouse sensitivity from the settings app.
- Step 1: Simply click on the ‘Windows’ icon on the bottom-left of the screen. Once the start menu pops up. Then click on ‘Control Panel’.
- Step 2: Now, if it is set to ‘View by Small icons’ then just click on the ‘Mouse’ option to open mouse properties. If it is set to ‘View by Large icons’ then click on ‘View devices and printers’ then right-click on your mouse device that is showing up there and click on ‘Mouse settings’.
- Step 3: Now, simply click on the ‘Pointer Options’ tab.
- Step 4: You will be able to see a ‘Motion’ section there. You can easily adjust the slider to change the pointer speed of your mouse. Set it to the speed that you want.
- Step 5: You should test the mouse pointer movement after selecting a pointer speed to check whether it works for you or not.
- Step 6: You should uncheck the box that is next to ‘Enhance pointer precision’. However, it is optional. This ‘Enhance pointer precision’ causes the mouse pointer to move different lengths depending on how fast you move your mouse, which will be a big problem for the gamers. That is why we recommend that you disable it for a better experience.
- Step 7: Once you have selected a proper pointer speed that you’re comfortable with.
- Step 8: Now just click on Apply and OK to save the settings. You have successfully changed the mouse DPI.
Adjust the mouse sensitivity from the video game
Most video games allow you to adjust the mouse sensitivity in-game. How this helps you is that you can use one general DPI settings for the OS normally and set different sensitivity settings for the different games.
Since the settings are located in different menus for different games, but you can generally follow these steps to find where you can change the in-game sensitivity.
- Step 1: Firstly launch the game that you want to change the sensitivity in.
- Step 2: Now find the menu option that says ‘Settings’ or ‘Options’. This option is normally available from the title screen.
- Step 3: Locate the menu option that says ‘Controls’. You will most probably not be able to adjust the mouse sensitivity in the game that you have opened if this menu option is not available
- Step 4: Lastly, find the ‘mouse sensitivity slider’ and adjust it to the point that you want.
- Step 5: Once you have adjusted it, save the settings. You have changed the sensitivity successfully for the game.